In Georgia, you don’t have to wait until after high school graduation before pursuing opportunities at a cosmetology school. Many high schools throughout the state, in conjunction with a few cosmetology schools will allow you to take cosmetology courses through a college program while in high school, and earn dual credit at both.
“I thought about it and decided i would be great if I could go ahead and get my first year done before I even graduate.” –Alexis West, Central High student
Ready to attend cosmetology school?
In order to work as a cosmetologist in Georgia, you must first meet the training requirements set by the Georgia Board of Cosmetology. Depending on which beauty specialty you are interested in, your classroom hours will be different. If you are interested in practicing massage therapy, the Georgia Board of Massage Therapy will be your licensing department. Be sure your cosmetology program will meet the following hour requirements for Georgia licensure:
- Cosmetologist: 1500 training hours
- Barber: 1,500 training hours
- Esthetician: 1,000 training hours
- Manicurist: 525 training hours
- Massage Therapy: 500 training hours
No additional exams are required for people holding a cosmetology license in another state. However, the requirements of that state must be equal or greater to the requirements in Georgia.
Licenses for nail technicians and estheticians expire on June 30 in odd-numbered years. Cosmetologist and barber licenses expire on March 31 of even-numbered years. You must complete five hours of continuing education before you can apply for license renewal.
Find Beauty Schools in Georgia by Program
- Barbering Programs in Georgia
- Cosmetology Programs in Georgia
- Cosmetology Instructor Programs in Georgia
- Esthetics Programs in Georgia
- Electrolysis Programs in Georgia
- Fashion Design Programs in Georgia
- Hair Braiding Programs in Georgia
- Hair Styling Programs in Georgia
- Makeup Artist Programs in Georgia
- Massage Therapy Programs in Georgia
- Nail Technician Programs in Georgia
- Permanent Makeup Programs in Georgia
- Salon Management Programs in Georgia